Monday, July 23, 2012

Asian Cabbage Stir Fry aka Crack Slaw

When you low carb, a simple tasty recipe that can be made in minutes is always appreciated. One such recipe has earned the name "Crack Slaw". Because of the name, I thought it was some variation on coleslaw and never bothered to look in to it. I already have plenty of ways to make a good cole slaw and wasn't really interested in attempting something new. Then someone explained that it wasn't a cold cabbage salad, it was an Asian-style stir fry that uses shredded cabbage as a base...and that it was a bit addictive...hence the name Crack Slaw. Well that was something entirely different and I decided to give it a try.


My rendition of crack slaw using bay scallops and a bagged chopped cabbage blend with a side of wasabi.



This version used Nappa cabbage, steak pieces, extra mushrooms and some cayenne pepper.

It was delicious and it is something I now make on a regular basis. Most recipes call for a bit of toasted sesame oil to be added right before serving. I consider that ingredient essential. It totally makes the dish. I also use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. If you are avoiding wheat or soy, coconut aminos are a tasty replacement for soy sauce and are available at many health food stores.

I have made this several times using different proteins, different bagged shredded cabbage blends or even shredding my own. It is a very versatile dish and can be easily changed to use whatever ingredients you have on hand. Don't let the name scare you. Crack Slaw is a nutritious and delicious low carb recipe you might want to incorporate in to your weekly meal plan. Here are a few different versions to get you started...

No comments: