Thursday, January 3, 2008

PRODUCT REVIEW: Hood Calorie Countdown Chocolate Milk

When it comes to cravings, I have learned that trying to ignore them can make you a bit nutty and even trigger a binge. It is often a better idea to find a way to calm the craving than to try and pretend it doesn't exist. One of my occasional cravings is for chocolate milk. With the high sugar content of regular chocolate milk, this is one of the things I had taken off the menu. I had tried to ignore the times I had cravings for chocolate milk and made myself some coco mocha instead. While it did help a bit, there is something about a super cold glass of chocolate milk that still made me want a glass every time I walked by the dairy section at the grocery store.

Imagine my surprise (and relief) when I saw this at my local Walmart! Did I now have a way to drive the chocolate milk craving out of my head without derailing my weight loss? Plus I had to wonder if the 60% fewer calories, 90% less sugar and 84% fewer carbohydrates than regular chocolate milk would mean it was an undrinkable mess. Since it was only $2.98 for a half gallon, I figured it was worth a try.

I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and creamy the texture was. The flavor was nice and chocolaty. It calmed my chocolate milk craving in no time flat. It is sweetened with Splenda and did have a bit of an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Someone new to Splenda may not like it, but as an artificial sweetener veteran, it wasn't too bothersome. I did notice that the aftertaste was less noticeable the colder the drink is (I am one of those weirdos who puts ice cubes in their milk...once I put the ice in and tasted the Hood chocolate drink again, the Splenda taste was less apparent).

The price isn't too bad for a specialty product and the texture is awesome. Other than the little Splenda twinge, this is a really good product. Next time you get a chocolate milk craving, you may want to give it a try.

Rating (out of 5 stars)
Product ****
Value ****

14 comments:

OhYeahBabe said...

I'll have to see if I can find that in my area. Thanks for the review!
OYB


Considering the Kimkins diet? Read this first: Kimkins Diet Scam Update.

Unknown said...

I've been using Calorie Countdown for years, now. When I can get it, I have to drive to a town with a Wal-Mart. When I started using it, it was called Carb Countdown, had an Atkins endorsement on the label and they still made the full fat version of the white milk-like beverage. Now I use both the chocolate and the white 2%. I like the chocolate hot sometimes, also, it tastes just fine to me that way. Maybe add a little cream? I live in fear that it will disappear. They also used to make a skim milk version, an orange juice like version and a yogurt.

Anonymous said...

You can freeze milk too, so if you don't drink it all, put it in the freezer for next time.

Linda said...

Since I posted this review, Walmart has been COMPLETELY OUT of the chocolate. Darnnit!!!

:::wanders off to go pout:::

Kim said...

What's the carb count?

Linda said...

The nutrition label is posted n the hood website.

5g carbs per cup with 1g of fiber.

http://www.hphood.com/products/prodDetail.aspx?id=577

Not something you would want on Atkins induction, but easy to incorporate for maintenance or Barry Groves plan.

PJ said...

I love milk so much I'm afraid if I bend to a few drinks, next thing you know I'll be drinking out of the carton at 3 AM. :-)

I added your blog to two of my blogs, the Divine Low Carb and Lowcarb Mania, by the way.

Anonymous said...

LOL. My DH thinks I'm really weird because I won't drink milk without ice cubes. Nice to meet you.

Linda said...

Hello fellow ice loving weirdo! :D

(Hi PJ, I will check those out. Thanks!)

Anonymous said...

Also, heat it for yummy hot chocolate!

Daron said...

This makes excellent hot chocolate. Just put in the microwave for 1 minute...

Low Carb Band-It said...

Not sure how I missed your blog. But I'm LOVING IT!

I too love the Choco Cal. Ctdwn milk. I also am a ice cube in milk lover.

I also microwave it for a quick hot chocolate! My family all likes it, but we are used to AS.

I've bookmarked you and will be adding you to my list of favorite blogs! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I use Hood white 2% (3 net carbs) and chocolate (4 net carbs) all the time. That and heavy cream are the only milk I use.

And I always drink Hood milk with a couple of ice cubes in my glass. When I have an Adkins Advantage Caramel Latte or Chocolate Mocha shake (2 net carbs), I do the same thing. All taste great when they're very cold.

I have used Hood milk, both white AND chocolate, when making sugar-free instant pudding (vanilla, cheesecake, banana or chocolate flavors). I also freeze Hood, especially when it's on sale, and have had no problem with it after it's defrosted.

Great product!

Anonymous said...

I live in Atlanta and the Hood Calorie Countdown has been gone from Walmart for several months now. I even went to the Walmart site and it said none was within 100 miles of me. Publix, Kroger and Walmart have Hood products, but no the Calorie Countdown... bummer