Friday, March 7, 2008

Recipe: Low Carb Tropical Seafood Chowder

I really wasn't sure if I should label this a "recipe", because it was more like happy accident than anything. I was in a hurry and wanted to throw something in the crock pot before heading out the door. I had just recently bought 2 large cans of baby clams, so chowder popped to mind. Of course, a good clam chowder required some bacon, which I was out of, and cream, which was ALSO gone. At that point I could have just tried something else, but I hadn't done the week's shopping yet and pickings were slim. Besides, it was cold and crappy out and there was a fresh covering of snow on the ground. I wanted chowder dammit!

I rummaged through the cabinets and freezer and was pleasantly surprised at the results. This chowder version does call for coconut milk instead of cream, but the coconut flavor is subtle once all the flavors blend and it really compliments the shrimp and clams. And while I did not use bacon for flavoring, I see no reason why you should pass up the opportunity to use it if you were (unlike me) smart enough to stock up ahead of time.

Low Carb Tropical Seafood Chowder
2 large cans of baby clams (including liquid)
2 cans of coconut milk
2 cups of frozen cooked tail-off shrimp
1 lb of frozen mixed vegetables (like a broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix)
2 whole cloves
1 Tbsp of minced garlic (I use the stuff in a jar)
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp dried minced onions
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp thyme (lemon thyme if you can get it)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Throw everything in a crock pot and let it cook on low while you are at work. Running around like and idiot while you try to find ingredients is completely optional. Try not to look too surprised when it actually tastes good.


Warning!
The measurements given are an APPROXIMATION! I honestly didn't even pick up a spoon or any other kind of measuring device when I made this. Don't be afraid to make your own adaptations or adjustments. Cooking is more art than science, so don't be afraid to be creative!

8 comments:

Vesna VK said...

Lovely!

My suggestions (that you didn't even ask for!) would be:

Add the seafood 5 minutes before serving. (The shrimp is precooked anyway and the worst thing you can do to shrimp is overcook it)

Buy shrimp that's not precooked. Shrimp only needs a few minutes cooking, enough so that it's white and not translucent.

Thanks! I want to try this!

Linda said...

I always welcome tips and suggestions. The shrimp did fall apart a bit, but I can't complain. It was delicious and the leftovers are just as good. Next time I will throw the shrimp in right before serving.(My husband doesn't like shrimp or clams, so I actually got to eat my creation...unlike my experience with pork neck bones!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I made this tonight and it was fabulous! Everyone here loved it!

I am just "getting back on track" and since boredom was a factor in my falling off the wagon, your blog is going to be a very big help!

Thanks so much! Chris

Unknown said...

This sounds great! but, how many servings does it make?

Linda said...

Hi Chris,

Glad everyone liked it :D

Hi Jenny,

As for servings, it kind of depends. If you are having a small cup as a side or starter, you can get around 6 servings. If you are eating it as a meal (which is what I typically do), you are looking at more like 4 hearty servings.

HunBun said...

What would you suggest in place of the coconut milk? My husband is allergic to all things nut (except me) and I have no desire to be accused of trying to kill him! ;o) This sounds quite yummy! Thanks!
Ginger

Linda said...

Hi Ginger...

Instead of the coconut milk, add some water while cooking, then right before serving, stir in some heavy whipping cream. This is how I make more traditional chowders. Check out the Golden Clam Chowder recipe in the recipe section.

Hope that helps :D

Anonymous said...

oh my ... this recipe sounds sooooooooo yum!

Yucky <--- big fan o' clam CHOW-dah! :D