Thursday, November 29, 2007

Low Carb Coffee Treat

I have stumbled on a good low carb, sugar-free coffee that is really tasty...especially now that the temperatures are dropping and holiday temptations abound. I ran this recipe by several other low carbers at the Low Carb Friends forum and so far it is getting the thumbs up.
Real cream makes this coffee drink tasty and filling

Wifezilla's Coco Mocha
In a large coffee mug combine (leaving room for sweetener, etc...);
1/3 mug of fresh hot coffee
1/3 mug boiling water
1/3 mug cream
1-2 Tbsp cocoa (depends on your preference or the size of the mug)
a splash of pure vanilla extract
Sweetener (lately it have been using Da Vinchi sf hazelnut syrup and one equal packet)

Mine is heavy on the cream and light on the coffee. You can adjust the ratios to be lower or higher in caffeine by mixing up the coffee/hot water ratio. You can also adjust the calories by lowering or raising the amount of cream. Remember to blend your sweeteners to lower the aftertaste effect.

It might make you cringe if you are a calorie counter, but there are times that after I drink this I am not hungry until lunch. Whether or not it stalls you will depend on your individual metebolic issues. It may be worth a try if you are having a serious chocolate or sweet jones. A high-carb alternative would be much worse.

FEEDBACK:
"Wifezilla, my 18 yr old daughter is doing this diet with me. She was craving something sweet and hot and so I made the coco Mocha for her and shes like "Holy cow mom!" I bet she wont go to sleep til midnight. ha!" - SusieQue333

"I made that coffee this morning and it was really good! I enjoyed it and may even drink it with the decaf too." Determinedtolose

"...think of the money we are saving..These things at Starbucks are probably $3.XX."
"Wifezilla: I made the coco mocha..nommie, nommie, nommie..I do think it is going to be a regular thing for me." - CarolynF


500 More Low carb Recipes: 500 All New Recipes From Around The World

4 comments:

DonnaJo said...

Hi! I came over from Jimmy's blog, he recommended your blog over there. I have read a few of your posts and I love your writing! I also have cats, 3 now as I lost my youngest Maine Coon male last week due to kidney failure. Very sad, he had a blocked urethra and when the vet unblocked him his kidneys would not start working again. He was only five years old. Sorry to have unloaded on you, I actually have not told anyone online about that till now. Must be the kitty connection. I do like your blog! keep it up. Donna

Linda said...

Hi Donna,

Thanks for stopping by. Sorry to hear about your kitty. Hopefully by getting the grains out of cat's diets, we can prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Since you are here, brew yourself up a cup of coco mocha and set a spell :D

I will be posting more recipes soon, and if I can every get a new battery for my camera, more photos.

blessedabundantly said...

Is this just regular cocoa powder? This sounds great. I can't wait to make it. :)

Linda said...

Yup...just use the plain old unsweetened baking cocoa. You can also use the Dutch cocoa powder, but it does have fewer anti-oxidants.