Saturday, October 27, 2007

Breakfast Alternative

People get the impression that when someone is eating low carb, eggs are your primary breakfast option. While I do like eggs and eat them quite frequently (usually with zucchini and mushrooms sauted in butter), there are times when I want something different. Today was one of those days, so I cooked up a batch of almond ricotta pancakes.



Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 cups almond or hazelnut meal
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup water
2 tsp almond or vanilla extract
4 packets of splenda

Mix your ingredients together and cook like regular cancer disks...ahh...I mean carb-infested pancakes and top with a sugar-free, low carb maple flavored syrup or fruit (strawberry or blueberry) puree.

These will be a bit more delicate than death circles...errr...I mean wheat pancakes, so be sure they're done on the bottom before you try to flip them. When done, the edges will appear dry.

This recipes makes about 12 medium sized cakes. 2 may look like a small amount, but that is usually all I can eat before getting full.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*grins* I prefer my death cakes with lemon juice and fresh fruit! Sometimes I add sour cream, also.

They're also good with scrambled eggs and sausage just thrown on top (like a giant crepe)...

Abi