Thursday, August 28, 2008

Notable Quotable

As I struggle to figure out why so many medical professionals spout off dietary advice (eat less fat, cut calories, eat more soy, eat less meat) that does not help their patients, and in fact causes them further harm, it looks like novelists Leo Tolstoy understood all along...

”I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives.”

3 comments:

Vikki said...

Well said! Sometimes it seems just that, would rather send us down the road to ruin than admit they were wrong.
have a lovely weekend,
Vikki

Twisted Cinderella said...

Very true!!

http://pitterpatteroflosingpounds.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

heh. now i should annoy people with MY weight issue...

I am up over 3200 calories a day and I still can't gain anything, although my tits finally went up a cup size! And as I am starting running (gods I missed sprinting... it's like flying or dancing with veils!) I'm having to constantly increase those calories.

My metabolism is convinced I need to be too skinny so the more food I throw at it, the faster it goes to keep up! Although cutting calories to slow it doesn't work. At that point I do behave normally and lose weight.

Gar.

So do any of the low carb genuises have a cure??

My doctors say I don't exist because I am impossible. Which was the whole tie in to your article ;)